Pillow are one of my favorite things to make and if you have an AccuQuilt GO! cutter and the Rose of Sharon applique die,
you can create the rosy pillow following this tutorial in no time at all!
AccuQuilt Rosy Pillow Tutorial
16″ x 16″
Quilted pillows are fast and easy to create and make wonderful gifts also!
All of my piecing and quilting was done on my vintage 15-91 Singer sewing machine. You don’t always need a brand new sewing machine, especially when you are first starting out. Check out Facebook Market Place, Craig’s List or watch for local garage sales. My first Singer 15-91 cost under $30 and I still use it!
The pillow size is 16″ x 16″ and would be perfect for your bedroom or living room. I used my AccuQuilt GO! BIG Electric Fabric Cutting machine, the AccuQuilt GO! Qube die set and also the Rose of Sharon Applique die.
GO! Cutting Dies:
- GO! Qube Mix & Match 12″ Block (55778) Dies used: #5 – Half Square – 3″ Finished Triangle, #6 Square on Point – 4 ¾″
- GO! Rose of Sharon #55045
- Light Green Print – ½ yard
- Green Print – fat quarter
- Med Green Print – fat quarter
- Red Print – scrap piece
- Yellow Print – scrap piece
- Fusible Web – ¼ yard
- Batting – 16″ x 16″
- 16″ Pillow insert
Cutting Instructions for pillow front:
NOTE: Apply fusible web to the wrong side of the fabrics following manufacturer’s instructions before cutting appliqué shapes.
Light Green Print
Cut 4 – Shape 6: GO! Square on Point 4 ¾″ (#55778)
Cut 2 – strips with the 2 ½” Strip Cutter – sub-cut 2 – 2 ½” x 12 ½” and 2 – 2 ½” x 16″
Green Floral Print
Cut -8 – Shape 5: GO! Half Squared 3″ Finished Triangle ( #55778)
Medium Green Print
Cut 8 – Shape 5: GO! Half Squared 3″ Finished Triangle ( #55778) Cut 8 – Rose of Sharon Small petals (#55045)
Cut 4 – Rose of Sharon Medium Rose (#55045)
Cut 4 – Rose of Sharon Large Circles (#55045)
Below you can see the cutting for the blocks
Here you can see the cutting for the applique pieces (also the large yellow circles)
Follow the directions in the GO! QUBE Make The Cut pattern book for the Triangles & Squares Block pattern on page 16.
Sew with a ¼” seam allowance.
Make 2 Green Floral blocks and 2 Medium Green blocks
- Sew one green floral print 3″ finished half square triangle to each side of the light green square on point.
- Press seams toward the triangles.
- Repeat this for the other two sides.
- Make two more blocks from the medium green
The blocks will measure 6 ½” x 6 ½” – sew them together as shown to make a 12 ½” square block.
Add your rose and petal pieces and applique as desired. I did a free motion applique around mine as my Singer 15-91 sewing machine is just a straight stitch machine.
- Add the 2 ½” x 12 ½ strips to the sides of the block and then add the 2 ½” x 16″ strips to the top and bottom.
- Place the batting behind the pillow top and quilt as desired.
Finishing the pillow:
- Cut two pieces of the light green print 16″ x 11″ for the pillow back. On each piece fold the 16″ side under ¼” and press.
- On one piece fold under ½” and top stitch it. On the other piece fold under 1″ and top stitch.
- Place the 1″ top stitched piece face down on the pillow top, then place the ½” top stitched piece face down on it.
Turn right side out, press and insert the pillow insert. You now have a beautiful pillow!
I hope you have enjoyed the Rosy applique pillow quilting tutorial made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter.
Looking for other posts that use AccuQuilt dies?
- AccuQuilt GO! Fun Flower Candle Mat
- Raw-edge Applique Clamshell Pillow Tutorial
- AccuQuilt Twirling Hexie Florals
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.