Scrappy Butterfly Baby Quilt Tutorial
Hi everyone! My guest post went live on the AccuQuilt blog yesterday and it is a fast and easy baby quilt tutorial for you using the AccuQuilt GO! Serendipity Specialty Set by Edyta Sitar and a couple other AccuQuilt GO! dies. It is made using some of my Island Batik scraps.
Be sure to stop by the AccuQuilt blog for the detailed directions using the dies.
No AccuQuilt dies? Continue reading and I’ll help you make it using a simple template.
If you are looking for a quick a baby quilt you will enjoy making this!
Scrappy Butterfly Baby Quilt
Finished size is 30″ x 42″
- 1/2 yard cream or assorted neutral scraps for background blocks
- Scraps in assorted bright batiks for butterflies and squares
- Scraps in assorted bright batiks for the 2 1/2 inch squares
- 1/8 yard brown for antennas
- 1/3 yard for binding in a med dark
- 1 yd backing and batting
If you have a scrap drawer….now is the time to use your 2 ½” squares!
Cutting the blocks:
- Cut 162 – 2 1/2″ squares in assorted bright batiks.
- Using a 1/4″ seam allowance join the 2 1/2″ blocks into 9 patch blocks. Each 9 patch block will measure 6 1/2″ square.
- Make 18 – 9 patch blocks – join together as shown.
Cut 17 – 6 ½” squares from Cream or assorted neutrals for the butterfly background blocks.
NOTE: Apply fusible web to the wrong side of the fabrics following manufacturer’s instructions before cutting appliqué shapes.
- Cut 17 – butterflies in assorted colors – template below.
- Cut 17 – antennas from Brown
Use your favorite method of applique to apply each butterfly to the 6 1/2″ cream blocks. I used invisible thread for the free motion applique on the butterflies.
The antennas could be embroidered on but I used a fabric pen – fast and easy!
Sew the blocks together into 7 rows of 5 blocks, then join the rows.
Layer your backing, batting and top and quilt as desired. Cut your binding fabric into 4 – 2 1/2″ strips, join together and bind your quilt. I did a stipple quilt pattern on the butterfly blocks and a wiggle diagonal line through the 9 patch blocks.
Here is a closeup showing the quilting and the antennas.
FREE PDF TO MAKE THE BUTTERFLY QUILT
Would you like a PDF of this tutorial without any ads in it?
You can get the password to my resource library that has ALL of my free quilt patterns in it by filling out this form:
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I only promote products and services that I use and love myself. Your support enables me to maintain the content of this blog and I am truly grateful!
Download this free quilt pattern Confetti
|Special new one daily!||Check out the Quilt Supplies at Craftsy!|