How would you like to make a mini Chinese Forget Me Not wall hanging? Some time ago I designed a wall hanging that used the AccuQuilt GO! Cutter and dies and some of the beautiful batik fabrics that I had from Island Batik. I was always going to write up a tutorial for the Chinese Forget Me Not wall hanging for people that didn’t have the AccuQuilt GO! Cutter and dies but I forgot about it.
I was doing some rearranging of my quilts and projects and came across the wall hanging and hung it up on my wall. I kept looking at it and finally decided to remake it as a mini Chinese Forget Me Not wall hanging. I’m not sure which one I like the best!
I have also updated my original post about the appliqued Chinese Forget Me Not wall hanging and included directions to make the 24″ x 24″ size using the AccuQuilt GO! Cutter and also directions to make it without having the die and cutter.
Mini Chinese Forget Me Not
10″ x 10″
I took a photo of the mini blocks next to the larger wall hanging. I have to admit I love the mini quilts and have been making more and more of them. Looks like I have plenty of cutting mats doesn’t it. At some point I actually bought 2 more of the blue mats to completely cover my cutting table.
10” x 10” Mini Wall Hanging cutting instructions:
Cut 32 – Orange/Yellow Batiks – 1 3/4” x 3” rectangles
Sewing Instructions: Use a ¼” seam allowance
• Sew two of the rectangles together along the 3” side.
• Your blocks are now 3” x 3”.
• Join another rectangle to one side of 8 of the blocks.
• Your blocks are now 3” x 4 ¼”.
You now have:
• 4 – 3” x 3” blocks
• 8 – 3” x 4 ¼” blocks
Use the following diagram to layout your blocks.
Applique using the template and directions:
There isn’t a diagram for adding the branches and flowers to the background, just look at the photos and add your branches and flowers as you like. When you cut your strips of fabric for the branches on the bias, your pieces are very easy to bend into a shape you like.
• Add the fusible web to your dark brown fabric and then cut 1/4” strips on the bias for the branches.
• Cut your teal/turquoise scraps into eleven 5″ squares and add the fusible web to them.
• Use the template to cut out ten or eleven flowers – vary the size if desired.
• Remove the backing from your fused fabrics.
• Place your background piece on a surface you can iron on.
• Arrange the stems similar to the diagram below.
• Use a pressing cloth when you iron the branches to your background.
• Carefully iron and shape the branches.
• Arrange the blue flowers along the branches and iron them down using the pressing cloth again.
Appliqué the branches and flowers in your favorite type of stitch. I use a straight stitch vintage Singer sewing machine to do mine.
Layer your batting between the backing and the front. Quilt as desired. I used #2360 brown 50 weight Aurifil thread for the stitching on the flowers.
Here you can see the difference in the stitching on the flowers.
Here is the 10″ mini wall hanging on top of the 24″ original Chinese Forget Me Not.
Download a pdf of this tutorial that includes directions and full size applique templates for the flowers for both the mini and the full size Chinese Forget Me Not wall hangings.
I use affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, when you make a purchase I may get a small commission. Your support is very appreciated. Thank you!
Don’t forget to check out Fat Quarter Shop’s daily sale!