Every month the Island Batik Ambassadors have a different challenge and this month we were to do something we haven't done before. I'm sharing my Island Batik Candle Mat.
I have been quilting for many years but there are still a few things I haven't tried. I wasn't sure what I wanted to make and then I read Dione's blog post about turned edge applique and I thought of a technique I haven't done. Be sure to stop by Clever Chameleon to read Dione's great tutorial.So what did I decide to try? My favorite way to applique is to apply a fusible to my fabric and then do raw-edge applique using free motion quilting. I decided to use sew-in interfacing instead. Of course that meant that I had to run to the store before I could start as I haven't used sew-in interfacing for years. In the meantime I pieced some neutral batiks together for my background.
I pulled out my AccuQuilt GO! Flower Power Die and some of the 5 inch strips of batiks. I cut out the sew-in interfacing and batiks.
Next I cut a little slit in the back and turned the petals inside out. The nice thing about most batiks is that both sides look the same so you don't have to worry about the right or wrong side of your fabric. I used my old Dritz Point Turner to poke out the points. I actually think I have one of the newer Dritz Point Turners which are white....somewhere. I knew there was a good reason I had kept it! My points might not be perfect but flowers in nature aren't perfect either.
I used another my of 5 inch strips for the center of the flower. I pinned and stitched the flower petals before adding the center.
I thought this would be a good time to use my Viking Husqvarna sewing machine that I seldom use. This sewing machine makes a beautiful blanket stitch, of course I had to get the book out as I couldn't remember how to find it.
Joan from MooseStash Quilting made a quilt using the X-Blocks template this month. I am taking part in a blog hop next month using the same template, I have used the mini before and I'll be creating something that uses the bigger template. Joan also makes many projects that are done with her beautiful machine applique which is much better than mine.
Once I had the petals appliqued it was time to pick a Aurifil thread color for the center of the flower. I also wanted to add some lines to the petals. I found a violet Aurifil thread that was perfect.
Once I was done with all of the applique and stitching I decided to add a little color with my Derwent Inktense pencils. I have only used them a couple times but I plan to work with them more this year. I chose a color that was similar to the violet stitching, drew some lines and then added water to them to blend.
There was just enough of the 5 inch strip that I used for the center to make the binding. I always cut my binding 2½ inches.
I will probably use this as a quilted candle mat,
Here are a couple other posts that I did using this same AccuQuilt Flower Power die:
Kona Table Topper - wow I guess I have had this die for a long time!
Some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I may be compensated a small commission when you make a purchase by clicking on those links. I only promote products and services that I use and love myself. Your support enables me to maintain the content of this blog and I am truly grateful!