Do you like to make quilts that are designed around just one quilt block? Twirling Windmills is a quilt that you’ll enjoy making with this easy quilt tutorial.
Twirling Windmills has to be one of the easiest and fastest quilts to make when you cut your batik fabrics with a AccuQuilt GO! Electric cutter. This block reminds me of all of the turbo windmills we have here in Iowa.
Use templates instead of AccuQuilt dies
I thought I would share this tutorial and also include directions and a template that you can use if you don’t have the AccuQuilt cutter and die – of course if you have the dies, it takes no time at all to cut out your quilt!
Twirling Windmills by the Sea Shore Quilt
Finished size is 48″ x 72″
It would be very easy to make this quilt larger or smaller. The finished block size is 12″.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through my link at no extra cost to you. Please see full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
GO! Fabric Cutter: You can use all of them
GO! Cutting Dies:
- GO! 12″ Qube – die used #55724 3 1/2 inch x 6 1/2 inch rectangle
- GO! #55411 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 Rectangle
- GO! #55017 2 1/2″ Strip Cutter
- 2 5/8 yards light batik for back ground
- 5/8 yard medium teal batik
- 1 1/8 yard dark teal batik (this includes 1/2 yard for binding)
- 5 yards backing fabric
Cutting the blocks with the AccuQuilt dies:
- Cut 96 light batik rectangles with the #55724 rectangle die.
- Cut 96 light batik half rectangle triangles with the #55411 – die.
- Cut 48 medium batik half rectangles with the #55411 – die.
- Cut 48 dark batik half rectangles with the #55411 – die.
Directions to cut the blocks without using the AccuQuilt dies:
Please note that you are NOT cutting the rectangles in half – you will use the template provided.
- Cut 96 light batik rectangles – 3 ½” x 6 ½”.
- Cut 96 light batik half rectangles with the half rectangle template.
- Cut 48 medium batik half rectangles with the half rectangle template.
- Cut 48 dark batik half rectangles with the half rectangle template.
I am using batik fabrics from Island Batik, from the Sea Shore collection. The wonderful thing about using batiks is that both sides look the same.
- Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Follow the diagram below to help piece your blocks.
- It is so easy to match the pieces with the dog-eared corners.
Make 4 sections for each block, press your seams to the light fabric.
Lay out the 4 sections for each blocks as shown below and then sew together. You have made your first block!
Originally I was going to make a Twirling Windmills crib quilt but I had so much fun making the blocks that I decided to make a larger quilt.
Make 24 Twirling Windmills blocks
- Layout your quilt with 6 rows of 4 blocks alternating the medium teal and dark teal blocks.
- Layer your backing and batting – quilt as desired.
- I did a free motion stipple quilting using Aurifil thread in a medium teal color.
- Cut your binding strips 2 1/2″ using the AccuQuilt GO! #55017 2 1/2″ Strip Cutter die.
- Join the strips, press in half and sew to the front of the quilt.
- Finish your binding by machine using my Add Binding By Machine Tutorial or by hand.
I hope you have enjoyed the fast and easy Twirling Windmills tutorial made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and GO! dies. If you are looking for more ideas for using the GO! Qube Mix & Match 12 inch Block (55778) and the GO! 12 Inch Companion Set you might enjoy some of my previous quilt tutorials.
- Summer Flower Table Runner Tutorial
- Chinese Forget Me Not Wall Hanging
- Harrison Rose Table Runner Tutorial
- Crystal Table Topper Tutorial
Twirling Windmills by the Sea Shore Quilt Tutorial
Here is another quilt that I made using the same block but it was a little smaller. I made this as a baby gift and I’m not sure what size the block is. I think I made it with the 6″ Qube set.