Once again, I have a quilted table runner tutorial for you! I dug into my stash and pulled out a couple of charm square packs and added in some cream fabric for my 9-patch blocks.
I have been finishing up all kinds of little quilt projects that I want to share with you. A couple of weeks ago I shared a 9 patch block pillow that I made as one of my Island Batik Ambassador projects which used the same size of blocks.
Scrappy Irish Chain Tablerunner quilt tutorial
15" x 27"
I am using white and cream muslin, if I didn't show you a closeup you wouldn't even notice. This was an oops on my part.
The collection I used was called Butterfly Blooms from Craftsy and I liked it so much I bought a fat quarter bundle and several 5-inch charm square packs.
Have you seen the new die from AccuQuilt that you can use to cut 9 little 1½" unfinished squares from 5-inch charm squares, this is a great way to use up some of your leftover charm square blocks and add them to your stash. I am really going to enjoy using this die.
Quick & Easy Tutorial
Please read all the directions first. Always sew with an accurate ¼-inch seam allowance.
- 1 charm pack of 5-inch squares
- ¼ yard muslin or cream fabric
- ¼ yard fabric for binding
- ½ yard fabric for backing
9 Patch blocks
- To make this table runner you'll want to cut (44) 1½-inch x 1½-inch squares of your neutral fabric and also (55) 1½-inch x 1½-inch squares from some fun colorful fabrics
- Make 11 - 9 patch blocks - each one will have 5 of the prints and 4 of the neutral fabrics
- Each 9-patch block measure 3½-inch x 3½-inch square
- Cut 10 - 3½" x 3½" squares of the neutral fabric
Sew 3 rows of 7 blocks.
- 4 rows will have 2 of the 9 patch blocks
- 3 rows will have 1 of the 9 patch blocks
- Sew the rows together
Always measure your piece before cutting the borders in case your measurements are different.
- Cut (2) - 1½-inch x 21½-inch strips for the top and bottom
- Choose (12) of your 5-inch print squares - cut them in half so you have (24) 2½-inch x 3½-inch rectangles
- Now cut 1½-inch from each rectangle so that they are now 2½-inches x 3½-inches
- Use the leftover pieces for more 1½" squares
- Add (7) 2½-inch x 3½-inch rectangles to the top and another (7) to the bottom sewing the 2½-inch sides together
- Cut (2) - 1½-inch x 15½-inch strips of your neutral fabric for the sides
- Add them to the sides
- Add (5) - 2½-inch x 3½-inch rectangles to the sides sewing the 2½-inch sides together.
Finally layer your backing, batting, and table runner, and quilt as desired.
Add your binding, I have a tutorial for adding the binding. I love taking a photo without much light so you can really see the quilting. I didn't do anything fancy, just some simple meandering and squiggles.
The Scrappy 9 Patch Irish Chain Tablerunner is the perfect size for out on the deck.
Purchase an ad-free printable version of the Scrappy 9 Patch Irish Chain table runner here.
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I'll earn a small commission if you purchase through my link at no extra cost to you. Please see the full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.