I’m never good at naming quilts but since I love this photo of the quilt in the flowers I guess I’ll call it Petunia Strings by the River. I actually finished this quilt 2 weeks ago….about the time I was changing my header and blog name and I never got this post done.
Click the following link for the tutorial for Petunia Strings.
Someone asked if I have Builder Bob underneath my quilts when they are by the river…..nope, we have a bell down there that works perfectly for draping a quilt over…..one of these days the wind will probably come up and I’ll have a quilt end up in the river. Luckily it isn’t very deep right next to shore.
The quilt size is 66 x 76 after washing. I know I wrote the original size down….somewhere…but I can’t find it.
To quilt this I just did a simple meandering using ecru cotton thread on the muslin strips and a oatmeal Bottom Line thread on the prints.
I used 2 batik jelly rolls and muslin for this quilt. The borders are pieced from various strips and my binding was also done using the strips. The back is muslin and I used Warm & Natural for the batting. There was some stretching when I quilted it and the borders didn’t lay perfectly flat but after washing and drying it looks pretty good.
I think I bought the batik jelly rolls at Hancock Fabrics. I know I made a Dish Rug with a leftover block and posted it but I can’t find the post…….hmmm…I’ll have to look for it. I do remember the Dish Rug bled onto the muslin when I washed it and I was worried about the batiks. The problem was that I washed it with towels and gulp….it sat in the washing machine for a bit. My fault, then the next time I washed it the dye came out of the muslin which really amazed me! I had no trouble washing my quilt as I removed it from the washer as soon as it was done.
Use the leftover blocks to make matching string pillows
If you look close you can see a skier in the background in the next photo.
This quilt is a old UFO, last week I had to go see my “computer guy” as I couldn’t get my old photos off of my DVDs. Thank goodness he was able to help me and the date I finished this flimsy was November of 2010.
Notice how small Simon and Bella are? They showed up at our house the summer of 2010….a month a part. I think it is so neat to have these photos to follow their growth. If you missed yesterday’s post you can see what they look like now……here.
Someone asked about the Sharpie pens – were they ink or paint – that I used to make my Doodle Art. I just used the permanent ink Sharpie pens that you can find at any office supply. I bought mine at Walmart and with school starting you might even find them on sale!
Please note this post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through my link at no extra cost to you. Please see full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Great deals for you
I want to share some of the sites that I personally like visiting for the quilting and craft things I buy.