I have made a Trip Around the World quilt many times, have you ever made one? I think this is my second mini one and the first time I ever made one into a mug rug. I think you’ll enjoy my Mini Trip Around The World mug rug tutorial.
Today I’m sharing another fast and easy mug rug using some of the same batiks that I used in my X Block BasiX Tutorial that I shared last week.
If you like Trip Around the World quilts you should definitely stop by Wanda’s blog Exuberant Color. She makes all kinds of them!
Mini Trip Around The World Quilt Mug Rug Tutorial
Approximately 10″ x 12″
- Cut 1 ½” strips from 5 different batik fat quarters from the 22″ length.
- Sew the strips together with a ¼” seam allowance.
- Sew the strips together to form a tube – this is what you usually do with larger strips – I think next time I make another Mini Trip Around The World Quilt Mug Rug I will NOT sew a tube.
- Cut the tubes or fabrics into 1½ inch strips.
- You will have 5 blocks in each strip – one of each color.
- Use a seam ripper to carefully remove the seams between the colors so you can make sections like below.
Sew the rows into blocks.
The diagram below shows you how to layout the rows for the mini Trip Around the World mug rug.
Look carefully at the blocks so you can see where to unstitch the tubes to get your rows right.
Here is the mini mug rug all pieced.
Add a backing, some batting, and quilt as desired. There are lots of seams since the blocks are so tiny so I just did a simple wiggle through each block.
I still have some of the strip set left….I’m not sure what I’ll make with that…..another day.
I used a gold Aurifil thread for the stitching and also for the free-motion stitching. By doing a little wiggle line cross-hatching…..you don’t have to worry about making perfect straight lines and it is fast to do.
Add your binding and you have a mini Trip Around the World quilt that can be used as a mug rug or a mini on the wall.
I think I’ll use it as a mug rug.
Mini trip around the world mug rug tutorial PDF
Subscribe (free!) to my newsletter and get access to my resource library. Once subscribed, I will send you a newsletter twice a week.