I have another beautiful quilt project to share with you. This could easily be a wall hanging or a table topper on your table.
Today I’ll show you a beautiful batik star quilt that can be used as a table topper or a wall hanging using this fast and easy quilt block and the AccuQuilt GO! dies.
If you have the new AccuQuilt GO! 10″ Qube Mix & Match set, you can make this in no time at all! This is another one of my favorite sizes of blocks to make and there is a lot you can do with this set!
Other sizes of the AccuQuilt GO! Qube will work and either make a smaller or bigger Diamond Stars quilt.
I have received many emails from quilters saying they have bought the AccuQuilt GO! cutter but really don’t use it much, I use mine all the time! I can cut half-square triangles (HST) in no time at all and they are exact.
My neighbor Diannia loves to come over and cut tons of fabrics into flying geese pieces that she can then take home and sew whenever she has time. I hope you enjoy this tutorial!
Diamond Stars Tutorial
GO! Fabric Cutter:
Below are the dies in the 10-inch Qube that I used.
- #2 Square – 55804
- #4 Quarter Square Triangle – 55806
- #5 Half Square Triangle – 55807
- #6 Square on Point – 55808
GO! dies that were used for the sashing and binding
Fabrics: I used batiks from Island Batik
Tan Batik – 1 yard – includes cutting binding and backing
- Cut one 6 – 3/4″ strip the width of fabric
- Sub-cut 4 sets #4 Quarter Square Triangles (16 pieces total)
- Cut one 3 – 1/4″ strip the width of fabric
- Sub-cut 16 #2 Squares
Orange Batik – 1/4 yard or fat quarter
- Cut one 4 – 1/2″ strip the width of fabric
- Sub-cut 4 #6 Square on Point
Dark Brown Batik – 1/4 yard or fat quarter
- Cut two 3 – 3/4″ strips the width of fabric
- Sub-cut 32 #5 Half Square Triangles
Cream Batik – 1/4 yard or fat quarter
- Cut one 3 – 3/4″ strip the width of fabric
- Sub-cut 16 #5 Half Square Triangles
If you don’t have an AccuQuilt GO! cutter, you can rotary cut your fabric in the following sizes.
- A – Tan batik – cut four 3″ squares
- B – Tan batik – cut one 6¼” square and sub-cut diagonally twice
- C – Dark brown batik – cut four – 3 3/8″ squares and sub-cut diagonally once
- D – Orange batik – cut one 4″ square for the center
Wall Hanging – four blocks:
- A – Tan batik – cut sixteen 3″ squares
- B – Tan batik – cut four 6¼” squares and sub-cut diagonally twice
- C – Dark brown batik – cut sixteen – 3 3/8″ squares and sub-cut diagonally once
- D – Orange batik – cut four 4″ squares for the center
Use a 1/4″ seam allowance throughout.
- Pin and sew two cream Half Square Triangles to opposite sides of the orange Square on Point. Press toward the dark fabric.
- Pin and sew the last two cream Half Square Triangles to the other sides of the orange Square on Point and press.
Next, make some flying geese blocks using the Quarter Square Triangles and the Half Square Triangles.
Make 16 flying geese units.
Pin and sew one tan batik quarter square triangle and two half square triangles together as shown in the following diagram. Press toward the dark fabric.
Arrange the sections as shown below.
Sew the pieces together in three rows and then sew your rows together to make the block. It will be a 10½” unfinished block.
Make 4 Diamond Star blocks.
Tan Batik – sashing
- Cut three 2″ strips the width of fabric
- Sub-cut two 2″ x 24 1/2″ pieces
- Sub-cut three 2″ x 21 1/2″ pieces
- Sub-cut two 2″ x 10 1/2″ pieces
Add the 2″ x 10 1/2″ sashing strips between the blocks. Do this twice.
Sew one 2″ x 21 1/2″ sashing strips between the two rows of star blocks.
Add the other two 2″ x 21 1/2″ sashing strips to the top and bottom of your quilt.
Add the two 2″ x 24 1/2″ sashing strips to the sides of your quilt.
Add batting and backing and quilt. I did some free motion straight stitching using my vintage 15-91 Singer sewing machine.
Cut 2 – 2 1/2″ strips width of fabric for the binding and sew together. Add the quilt binding by machine, or hand-stitch it down.
I hope you have enjoyed this fast and easy Diamond Stars quilt made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and the new GO! 10″ Qube dies. If you are looking for more ideas for table accessories, you might enjoy some of my other AccuQuilt tutorials.
Here are some other posts that will inspire you: