We still have snow which does make a nice background for a quilt, of course I think green grass would work great too! The deep freeze is still here in Iowa.
This quilt is approximately 25 x 35 from some old decorator fabric I had. I have this thing about using old fabric first when I am trying something new.
I was using the new dies I received from AccuQuilt and I wanted to see how the pieces lined up before cutting into my “good” fabric.
I used muslin for the equilateral triangles. Many, many years ago I bought a big box of decorator fabric scraps from a company and they were all long narrow pieces. I needed fabric that was a little bit more than 9 inches wide for the hexagon shape and this worked perfectly.
After I pieced a couple rows…..I decided I really liked the way the fabric looks in this pattern so….I cut more pieces.
Here you can see how I stitched the pieces together in rows.
I quilted it and then trimmed off to make my quilt rectangular.
I have to show you the back and tell you a cute story…..Builder Bob isn’t a quilter and when I was showing this to him he got a peek of the back and said “Wow! I really like that side!” Oh boy.
Here is a closeup of the free motion quilting. I like the way you can see the star here. There is also a half hexagon die that would be fun to use for a design like this.
I used the Hexagon and the Equilateral Triangle dies to make my quilt. The Equilateral Triangle could be used on a Go Baby but the Hexagon will need the larger GO.
These are some fabrics I bought about 2 years ago when they were on clearance at my LQS and I have always planned on making a quilt for our room with them. The floral prints is Poetic Blossoms by Lisa Audit licensed to Wilmington Prints and the burgundy dot is Over the Moon by David Carter Brown licensed to Wilmington Prints; the beige is Retta Warehine for Quilting Treasures by Cranston 2006. I like it when there is a date on the selvedge. I remember buying about 3 yards of each, leaving and then driving back and buying the rest of the bolts.
When you sew your pieces together there are little notches and dog eared corners to help you match your pieces.
Stitch your 1/4″ seam and it should match perfectly.
This will be an ongoing project. As I work on it I will share my experiences using my AccuQuilt dies to make it and some tips.