This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
How to make a simple Bow Tied Quilt block
Have you ever made the Bow Tie quilt block? It is very easy to make using this simple tutorial and there are no set-in seams! You can search the internet and find this traditional block made in many different sizes.
Sometimes I get a little crazy and make changes (actually I do this all the time) anyway, I am calling this a Bow Tied quilt block, I’ll share the “real” Bow Tie block in another post.
Many of my new subscribers have told me that they are fairly new quilters so I’ll be adding some new posts and tutorials to help them.
Cutting directions for one Bow Tied quilt block
- Cut two 3″ teal squares
- Cut two 3″ teal print squares
- Cut four 1½” cream squares
Stitching the Bow Tied quilt block
- Draw a line diagonally on the wrong side of the 1½” cream squares with a water soluble marker or a light line with a pencil
- Stitch a little bit away from the marked line toward the outside corner.
You can see in the next photo the stitching that I have done.
- Press to set the seam.
- Fold over the small square and press.
- Trim about ¼” away from the seam.
- Each block measures 3 inch
- Arrange the blocks into two rows and sew together with a ¼” seam allowance.
- Sew both rows together.
- Your block will measure 5½” x 5½”.
Here is the completed block, my seam is a smidgen off but I’m not worried.
A perfectionist I’m not.
Here are a few things you can make with the Bow Tied quilt block.
I shared the Bow Tie table topper last year as an Island Batik ambassador quilt project. I also created a baby quilt with butterflies for AccuQuilt but I don’t think it is on my blog yet. It was easy to make and used the 10 inch AccuQuilt GO! Qube set.
Tomorrow…..promise!! I’ll share the third quilt project and a tutorial for the placemat I made with the Bow Tied quilt block!
Would you like to have the measurements for this block in different sizes? Let me know.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Looking for a good sale on quilt thread? Check out these sets!
Grab this free Ziggy Zag Tablerunner pattern that I designed!