Tute Happy Summer Table Runner
Hi, I’m Connie from Freemotion by the River and I have another easy table runner tutorial to share with you. This is a simple table runner that can be finished in a day.
This is a revised post from 2015 that I thought I would share.
I used the fat quarter bundle of Marblehead Gemstones, Jewels and Quartz by Ro Gregg for Fabri-Quilt.
The size of this table runner is 14″ x 27″
I picked six fabrics from the fat quarter bundle and also used muslin for the neutral squares.
- From each of the 6 fabrics cut 2 – 2” strips by the longest side of the fat quarter (22 inches) then sub-cut into 2” x 3 1/2” rectangles. You will need 45.
- Cut the muslin into 3 1/2” strips the width of the fabric, then sub-cut to 18 – 3 1/2” x 3 1/2” squares. You will need 18.
- Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Join pieces together as shown below.
Cutting the fabrics:
Follow the diagrams below to make your block.
- Sew one 2” x 3 1/2” rectangle to a 3 1/2” square
- Sew two 2” x 3 1/2” rectangles together on the 2” side
- Sew two 2” x 3 1/2” rectangles to a 3 1/2′ square on the 3 1/2” sides
Sew the sections together.
Make 9 of the blocks.
Arrange the 9 blocks into 3 rows. I rotated the center blocks 180 degrees.
Finish sewing the rows together, add you backing and batting and quilt as desired.
For the binding I just cut 2 1/2” strips of the fabrics and pieced them together, can you see the different colors in the binding?
I had to take a photo of the table runner outside next to our wood carved eagle. Even Iggy liked this table runner!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, be sure and check more of my tutorials and patterns. This tutorial was originally part of the Tute-Happy Summer blog hop at Inspired by Fabric.
This table runner tutorial was based on my Crossroads block tutorial.
That tutorial will show you how to make this block in 3 different sizes! I also have a free reference card you can print out.
I use affiliate links. At no additional cost to you, when you make a purchase I may get a small commission. Your support is very appreciated. Thank you!
Download this free quilt pattern Confetti
Don’t forget to check out Fat Quarter Shop’s daily sale!