Island Batik Coastal Mist Table Runner
Finished size 11″ x 31″
Quilted table runners are one of my favorite quilt projects to make! This table runner is very easy to make and I have included directions to make this using the AccuQuilt GO! dies or by rotary cutting. Enjoy!
Earlier this month I shared a tutorial for the Island Batik Coastal Mist table runner on the AccuQuilt blog.
This was very easy to make with the AccuQuilt GO! 6″ Qube set and I used a strip set (jelly roll) called Coastal Mist from Island Batik for the blocks in this table runner.
- GO! FABRIC CUTTER:you can use all of them
GO! Cutting Dies:
- GO! 6″ Qube – dies used #5 Half Square Triangle, #2 Square and #8 Rectangle
- GO! 6″ Qube Companion – die used #9 Chisel
- GO! #55164 – 1″, 1 1/2″ and 2″ Strip Cutter
- 1/2 yard cream batik for back ground and sashing, one Strip set or Jelly roll – you could also use 4 fat quarters
- 1/2 yard medium teal batik (this includes the binding and backing)
I am using batik fabrics from Island Batik, from the Coastal Mist collection. The wonderful thing about using batiks is that both sides look the same.
- Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Follow the diagram below to help piece your blocks.
- It is so easy to match the pieces with the dog-eared corners.
If you are using a strip set – it should have two 2 1/2 inch strips of each color needed. Choose 4 complementary colors. The 2 1/2 inch strips will easily fit on the dies.
Cutting the block pieces:
- Cream: Cut a 4 1/2″ strip the width of fabric – cut 12 – #8 rectangles and 12 – #2 squares.
- Rotary cutting – Cut 12 – 2″ x 3 ½” rectangles and 12 – 2″ squares.
- Teal print one – Cut 8 – #9 chisels.
- Rotary cutting – Teal print one – Cut 8 – 2″ x 3 ½” rectangles.
- Teal print two – Cut 4 – #5 half square triangles and 8 – #8 rectangles.
- Rotary cutting – Teal print two – Cut 4 – 2″ squares and 8 – 2″ x 3 ½” rectangles.
- Plum print one – Cut 4 – #9 chisels.
- Rotary cutting – Plum print one – Cut 4 – 2″ x 3 ½” rectangles.
- Plum print two – Cut 8 – #5 half square triangles and 16 – #8 rectangles.
- Rotary cutting – Plum print two – Cut 8 – 2″ squares and 16 – 2″ x 3 ½” rectangles.
When using the #8 rectangle die and the 2 1/2 strips, carefully lay the fabric over just one of the rectangles on the die.
Rotary cutting – place the 2″ square on the top of the 2″ x 3 ½”rectangle, stitch diagonally and trim.
The following diagrams show you how to piece the block sections together adding a half square triangle to each chisel piece.
Add the cream #8 rectangles to each completed piece.
Each block is made from four sections. Sew them together. Each block will measure 6 1/2 inches.
Add a border using 4 – cream squares and 8 – rectangles.
The table runner uses 3 blocks. They should measure 9 1/2 inches.
Cutting the block borders:
- Cream: Cut 3 – 1 ½” strips the width of fabric using the #55164 strip cutter.
- Sub-cut 4 – 1 ½” x 9 1/2″ strips.
- Sew 2 of these to the center block and 1 to each of the other blocks.
- Sub-cut 2 – 1 ½” x 31″ strips for the top and bottom.
- Layer your backing and batting – quilt as desired.
- I did free motion stipple quilting using Aurifil thread in a cream color.
- Cut your binding strips 2 ½” using the AccuQuilt GO! #55017 2 1/2″ Strip Cutter die.
- Join the strips, press in half and sew to the front of the quilt.
- Finish your binding by machine or by hand.
Here is a closeup of how I quilted the center of the blocks. All of my piecing and quilting was done with Aurifil thread.
It makes the center of the blocks look like flowers.
Coastal Mist Table Runner Tutorial
Here is a little peek at the back of the table runner with one of the floral batiks.
I hope you have enjoyed this fast and easy Coastal Mist table runner tutorial made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and GO! dies. If you are looking for more ideas for using the GO! Qube and Companion Dies – you might enjoy some of my previous quilt tutorials.
- Twirling Windmills
- Winter Blues Table Runner
- Purple Shadows Pillow Tutorial
- Rosy Applique Pillow Tutorial
- Summer Flower Table Runner Tutorial
- Chinese Forget Me Not Wall Hanging
- Harrison Rose Table Runner Tutorial
- Crystal Table Topper Tutorial
Place the 2 inch square on top of the 2" x 3½" rectangle, stitch diagonally and trim. Follow the directions shown above to create the blocks and table runner.
Place the 2 inch square on top of the 2" x 3½" rectangle, stitch diagonally and trim.
Follow the directions shown above to create the blocks and table runner.
Download this free quilt pattern Twirly Petals
Don’t forget to check out Fat Quarter Shop’s daily sale!