This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
AccuQuilt Rosy Pillow Tutorial
Quilted pillows are always a favorite project for me. They make wonderful gifts also!
Today I am guest posting on AccuQuilt’s blog and sharing a fast and easy tutorial for this cute quilted pillow. Please join me there and find the full tutorial there.
All of my piecing and quilting was done on my vintage 15-91 Singer sewing machine.The pillow size is 16″ x 16″ is would be perfect for your bedroom or living room. I used my AccuQuilt GO! BIG Electric Fabric Cutting machine, the AccuQuilt GO! Qube die set and also the Rose of Sharon Applique die.
Rosy Applique Pillow Tutorial
Finished Size: 16″ x 16″
GO! Fabric Cutter (55100S) or GO! Big Electric Fabric Cutter (55500)
GO! Cutting Dies:
GO! Qube Mix & Match 12″ Block (55778) Dies used: #5 – Half Square – 3″ Finished Triangle, #6 Square on Point – 4 3/4″
GO! Rose of Sharon #55045
- Light Green Print – ½ yard
- Green Print – fat quarter
- Med Green Print – fat quarter
- Red Print – scrap piece
- Yellow Print – scrap piece
- Fusible Web – 1/4 yard
- Batting – 16″ x 16″
- 16″ Pillow insert
Cutting Instructions for pillow front:
NOTE: Apply fusible web to the wrong side of the fabrics following manufacturer’s instructions before cutting appliqué shapes.
Light Green Print
Cut 4 – Shape 6: GO! Square on Point 4 3/4″ (#55778)
Cut 2 – strips with the 2 ½” Strip Cutter – sub-cut 2 – 2 ½” x 12 ½” and 2 – 2 ½” x 16″
Green Floral Print
Cut -8 – Shape 5: GO! Half Squared 3″ Finished Triangle ( #55778)
Medium Green Print
Cut 8 – Shape 5: GO! Half Squared 3″ Finished Triangle ( #55778) Cut 8 – Rose of Sharon Small petals (#55045)
Cut 4 – Rose of Sharon Medium Rose (#55045)
Cut 4 – Rose of Sharon Large Circles (#55045)
Cutting the pieces for the blocks
Cutting the appliqué pieces (also the large yellow circles)
Follow the directions in the GO! QUBE Make The Cut pattern book for the Triangles & Squares Block pattern on page 16.
Sew with a ¼” seam allowance.
Make 2 Green Floral blocks and 2 Medium Green blocks
- Sew one green floral print 3″ finished half square triangle to each side of the light green square on point.
- Press seams toward the triangles.
- Repeat this for the other two sides.
- Make two more blocks from the medium green
The blocks will measure 6 ½” x 6 ½” – sew them together as shown to make a 12 ½” square block.
Add your rose and petal pieces and applique as desired. I did a free motion applique around mine.
- Add the 2 ½” x 12 ½ strips to the sides of the block and then add the 2 ½” x 16″ strips to the top and bottom.
- Place the batting behind the pillow top and quilt as desired.
- Cut two pieces of the light green print 16″ x 11″ for the pillow back. On each piece fold the 16″ side under ¼” and press.
- On one piece fold under ½” and top stitch it. On the other piece fold under 1″ and top stitch.
- Place the 1″ top stitched piece face down on the pillow top, then place the ½” top stitched piece face down on it.
Turn right side out, press and insert the pillow insert.
I hope you have enjoyed the Rosy applique pillow quilting tutorial made with the AccuQuilt GO! Fabric Cutter and GO!
FREE quilt pattern available here
There is even a video about it.AccuQuilt is also having a sale on select dies including the GO! Holiday Accessories die.
Disclosure: many of my posts contain affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of those links I may receive a small commission.