This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Yesterday was another hot day so I stayed inside working on a couple projects. I finished up a small wall hanging and then realized I couldn’t show it to you yet as the fabrics from Island Batik aren’t out yet so……I decided to make another project.
Pillows, table runners and table toppers are my favorite fast and easy things to make and I had been wanting to try out the GO! Dresden Plate that I bought a couple months ago.
I used the rounded dresden die and some batiks that I had in my stash. I decided to leave the curved edge raw so I stitched the pieces together right up to the curved edge. The bottom edge I decided to turn under. I made 4 of them using 5 round dresdens.
I had 2 fat quarters of a neat light blue batik that I used for the pillow. I cut the front 16 1/2 x 16 1/2 and then pinned my dresdens to each corner. I spaced them about a 1/4 inch from the edge.
It looked kind of plain so I decided to add a little flower to the center using my GO! Fun Flower die.
I made a sandwich of the top, the batting and muslin for the back before I did my free motion quilting. I did my little squiggle freemotion around the dresden pieces. For the flower I added Heat & Bond Lite to the fabric before cutting it out.
Here is a closeup of one of the corners.
Sometimes it is fun to see the back of a piece as you can see the quilting so much better.
I did a overlap for the back with the last fat quarter of the background fabric. My pillow is 16 inch square and the fat quarter wasn’t going to give me as much of a overlap as I wanted. I had already cut the piece in half when I realized I had a leftover piece from the pillow front that could be added to my back so…..I just made one side a little longer. Sometimes it doesn’t pay to be in a hurry.
Since this pillow matches my comfy chair….I’ll be keeping it. I sure wonder how many pillows I have made in the last couple of years……