The last couple of days have been busy, busy and……I now have 3 mini-quilts finished and sent to Windham Fabrics to be used in their booth at International Quilt Market in Houston.
This has been quite the challenge!
Monday morning around 9:30 am there was a knock on the door and this bundle of fabrics was sitting outside waiting for me. Well, it was actually in a plastic FedEx bag but this is a prettier photo. Beautiful fabrics!!
Right away I knew this was going to be interesting…….I’m a big fan of tone on tones, neutrals……..those 4 fabrics in the front…….very small pieces! The grouping is called Dover Flannel because……they are FLANNELS!!!
It is strange because not too long ago I bought some flannels to use on the back of a couple quilts and I mentioned that I hadn’t used flannel in many, many years…….like at least 30! In fact the last time I used it was on the back of a quilt and then I tied the quilt with yarn.
Challenge #1 – Work with flannels for the quilt front.
Challenge #2 – Big florals, plaids and……not much of the tone on tones.
Challenge #3 – The idea I had for a mini-quilt didn’t work; try a pinwheel or two…..nope.
I didn’t realize until I was done that I didn’t take any pictures while trying to figure out a design.
There wasn’t enough fabric for the pinwheel idea I had so I just decided to make one pinwheel the center and build around it (once I finished piecing the first quilt I went back and made the second).
Challenge #4 – I have never free-motion quilted with flannel on the back.
Challenge #5 – I never dreamed of free-motion quilting a flannel quilt!
I did actually take a photo of the teal mini-quilt while I was quilting it only because it was made AFTER I finished the blue one and relaxed. I am free motion quilting it on my vintage 15-91 Singer and using Bottomline thread.
The whole time I was cutting and piecing I kept worrying about how hard it would be to quilt the flannel……….it was wonderful to quilt and after a few minutes I completely forgot I was quilting on flannel. I didn’t have to adjust my tension at all.
You can see the quilting a little better here. I didn’t mark my quilt top and some of my lines are a little wiggly.
By time I quilted this one I got smart and deliberately wiggled my lines.
.Once I had the blue mini-quilt all finished I couldn’t stop.
I decided to use up the other pinwheel and squares with the large floral print as a border. Once I was all done I actually liked this one the best. Builder Bob thought the dark blue one looked more masculine so I couldn’t decide which one to send…. I sent both.
Challenge #6 – I always cut my binding 2 1/2 inches as I machine bind. I was able to carefully turn the thick binding and machine stitch it. If I had cut it 2 1/4 inches I probably would have had to hand stitch it……ugh!
I even put labels on the back of the quilts! This is something I keep forgetting to do.
Tuesday morning all I had to finish was the binding on the second quilt and then it was time to get them in the mail. First I had to get my walk in – I only did 3 miles…..if I had mailed the package right away it would have been less than 24 hours from the time I received the fabrics and put the completed mini-quilts back in the mail.
This was fun and pushed me to do something I normally wouldn’t do. I would never have thought of using flannel on the top of a quilt and free-motion quilting it as close as I like to quilt. Working with big florals and no neutrals……..a challenge!
Deadlines….they sometimes are the little push I need. These were actually FAST deadlines. Speaking of deadlines……….
I’d better get busy and finish another project I ‘m working on. Next Monday I’ll be doing a tutorial for a holiday project using Tis The Season at Inspired by Fabric.