The river is going down and the bell I hang my quilts on is showing again! Not much quilting has been done lately……I’ve been too busy with Pelly the White Pelican. I built him a new little sand pile on the other side of the road closer to the water. I put one sandbag by the mound. All of the pelicans seemed to be attracted to our sandbags….maybe they remind them of other pelicans.
We are having a little problem with Pelly…..
He likes to sit and lay in the road!!! The first time I saw him like this I thought he was dead!
Fortunately everyone is driving slow and knows about Pelly. He is pretty good about getting up and moving when a car comes but it sure makes us nervous.
It was Builder Bob’s turn to get Pelly out of the road. By the way…..Builder Bob has been busy the last few days building a chicken coop for some friends…..maybe he’ll be building a “pelican coop” soon.
Pelly is back on the big sand pile…..for a bit. We can’t figure out why he likes the road so much.
This morning I was quilting and every time I heard a vehicle I would go out on the deck to see where Pelly was. This time our neighbor went by on his Kubota tractor and poor Pelly got so scared he actually went into the river. The current was strong and…..there went Pelly!!
Do I just let Pelly float down river??? I went back in the house, put my shoes on and headed down the road. When I got past the mailboxes what did I see……Pelly coming up from the river.
I didn’t take any fish with me…..but that didn’t matter…..he was coming back home.
For the rest of the day Pelly continued to be a little scared of the tractor as it went by. Our neighbor was going slow too. We even had the garbage truck go by….when that happened Pelly stayed close to the house.
Here is a short video of Pelly walking home.
Everyone in town is enjoying the pelican and there have even been cars coming by with people who have heard about him. Neighbors have brought us fish and are going to take us fishing at a pond that has lots of small fish in it this weekend. It would be great to have a stockpile of them for Pelly.
I think he is getting more feathers, what do you think?
My brother was cleaning “pelican poop” off the dock……I got to clean the driveway.
I’ve had a lot of questions in the comments and some of you might be wondering the same things so I’ll post a few things.
- We were cutting up the fish into strips because several times in the beginning it seemed like Pelly was choking on large pieces.
- When he is full…..he walks away.
- There were many young pelicans that were swept away in the flood and there isn’t any place to take Pelly right now, we are on a waiting list.
- He doesn’t know how to feed himself, in rehab a older pelican teaches the youngsters.
- He will learn to fly on his own, we were told that if we still have him to keep a video camera handy as it will be hilarious to watch him learn.
- Since he is comfortable riding in a boat when the river goes down we want to take him across to a refuge and try to teach him to fish. There are usually white pelicans there also.
- If he is still here by winter we are to call the conservationist for help.