This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
You will need the following:
- 1 – 16 x 16 inch background fabric
- 1 – fat quarter of a batik for the the flowers
- Iron on fusible webbing – I used Heat n Bond Lite
- 1 – 16 x 16 piece of batting – I used Warm & Natural
- 1 – 16 x 16 backing fabric
- 2 – 2 1/2 inch strips the width of fabric for binding
- Thread to match flowers and also for background quilting
I cut my batik into 5 inch strips and added the iron on fusible webbing to the back. I then cut out 8 flowers with my AccuQuilt GO! Baby and the Fun Flower die.
I ironed my background fabric in half, then folded again and then on the diagonal to get the creases shown below. Then I removed the paper from the fusible and placed my flowers on with the corner flowers having a petal 2 inches from the edge and the over 4 flowers spaced 3 1/2 inches from the edge as shown.
I placed my batting behind the top but I didn’t add the backing yet. I then used my vintage 15-91 Singer to free motion quilt around each flower using a dark brown thread.
When I was done appliqueing around the flowers I added my backing, switched to a light creme thread and echo quilted around the flowers and filled in with some stippling.
Just a little wiggle, wiggle around the flowers.
When I did my trunk show at the Friendship Quilt guild last week everyone noticed that…..I wasn’t very good at labeling my quilts so that is something I am going to work on. Yesterday Barb sent me a link to a cute Easter bunny tutorial by Julie of The Crafty Quilter that you should check out and…..Julie put a cute little label on it so I decided to make one too from a 5 inch square.
I pieced together my 2 strips of binding, folded it in half and stitched it to the front of my piece after I attached the little label in the corner.
I then stitched down the binding on the back side. Isn’t that a cute fabric on the back….I have no idea how long or where I got it but my dad happened to walk by when I was working on this and…..thought the back was beautiful. When I flipped it over and showed him the front……he still said he liked the back better…..
Nothing fancy but I have a label!
This was a fast little fun project to make.
Here is the candle mat with one of the candles.
This is the way I will have it sit on the table.
I also took a picture with the lights turned down low so you could see the candles better.