This post may contain referral/affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
This is a Feathered Star that is the December 2012 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge, isn’t it a beautiful star! This bonus used Kaleidoscope Kreator 3 software which I don’t have but would love to get as it can do so many neat things. Edit: I bought this software and it is fun to use!
Feathered Rainbow Star
There is a free PDF file you can download and print to practice quilting around this Feathered Star. The file has a dark purple background which is beautiful but…..I didn’t want to use that much ink in my printer. Marjorie from Marjorie’s Busy Corner printed out the actual piece if you want to take a peek.
I love manipulating photos in Photoshop so…..that is what I did and then used a gradient to get the rainbow effect. I printed it on a creme Colorfast Inkjet Fabric sheet by June Tailor that….gulp I’ve had for about 4 years. The sheet has a special sizing on it that makes it very stiff. I am going to print another feather star in a different gradient but this time I am going to use a piece of batik and freezer paper.
I use my 15-91 Singer sewing machine for all my piecing and quilting. Someone asked about the darning foot I use….I bought this foot about 22 years ago to fit a Elena sewing machine at the time I was first learning how to do stipple quilting.
I have several other free motion feet but keep coming back to this one. I used a 70 needle and just regular thread, I thought afterwards I should have used one of my new shiny Coats & Clark Trilobal Polyester but I forgot. I hit a 50% off sale at Hancock Fabrics and stocked up, aren’t they beautiful!
It was very easy to free motion quilt through the sizing on the fabric but the feathers didn’t puff up. I used just one layer of Warm & Natural batting.
Here is a closeup of the back of my quilting.
When I put the binding on, Inspector Simon was there to keep an eye on everything. He surprised me as it has been quite a while since he felt the need to get UP on my sewing table but it worked out well as he is hiding the Christmas place mats I have finished but haven’t blogged about yet.
I had no idea what I wanted to make out of the piece so I just put a narrow border on it and made a small wall hanging.
I originally thought of a journal cover but it was too big.
Here is a photo of it quilted before I washed it. I like the way the shadows hit it.
Once I finished it I heat set the ink and since it was so stiff I decided it had to go in the wash machine with some delicate items. This is a photo of the stitching BEFORE washing.
Here is a photo after I washed it, dried it for a bit and then ironed it. The photo isn’t showing the exact same part of the feathers, sorry. The colors actually didn’t fade much…..normally someone wouldn’t wash and dry it the way I did but I was experimenting.
Here you can see the whole piece after washing. It is a little softer and the needle holes have shrunk some also. The next time I use the Colorfast sheets I think I will print, heat set and then gently hand wash to see if I can get the sizing out before I quilt.
I always make sure to use a Color Catcher sheet if I wash a quilt project like this.
If you like the way I made this quilted wallhanging, be sure and check out a couple of these posts!
I am linking this to the 2012 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge December Bonus.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.